How do I check for broken links? Does the system have a link checker?
There is a Link Checker function in LibGuides (run once / week, over the weekend) that will let you know of any broken links in certain boxes. Everyone has access to the Link Checker, not just admins. :)
Box types covered include:
Links added to Rich Text boxes or through the Rich Text editor (the "Add/Edit Text" link below the box title but above your box content) in any other boxes are not checked).
View Your Link Checker Report
- Go to Tools > Link Checker.
- Choose to view broken links on your guides or all guides.
You can also filter by publication status: all, published, private, or unpublished.
Please note that there may be some false returns in your list of broken links.
The Link Checker relies on the response from any given server at the moment when it's "pinged" for validity. There are a few possibilities as to why something might be listed as an invalid link, even though it is valid:
- At the time when our server pinged that URL, it was indeed unavailable. (Server was down at the time, or was too busy serving other requests, so the request was timed out.)
- That company/organization could have set up their server to refuse connections to any spiders, crawlers, etc. in order to save on bandwidth/resources.
- That company/organization incorrectly set up their server response codes, meaning that the code returned was not an accurate one.
Unfortunately, Springshare can't fix any of these possibilities.