Help! When I try to embed an image/widget/video in my guide, it is too big - it extends past the border of the box. How can I resize things?
Have no fear! This happens because your content - your image, video, widget, etc. - is too wide for the column that contains it. All we need to do is adjust the width of either (a) the content or (b) the column. Here's how...
Step 1: Determine the width of the content item
- If your content contains code - for example, a chat widget or video - look for a section of code like width=300. Jot down the number that you see.
- If your content is an image, view it in an image-editing program (like Paint) to determine width. Jot down that number.
Step 2: Determine the width of your column
- Click on Add/Edit Pages > Resize Columns. Look for the column that contains your image, video, or widget. How many pixels wide is the column? Jot down this number.
Step 3: Adjust
You can adjust either the width of your content, or the width of your column. Check out both options below!
- Adjust the width of the column.
Just go back to Add/Edit Pages > Resize Columns and use the slider to make your column bigger!
- Adjust the width of the content.
Many sites offer you a way to resize the content they provide you. Here's an example from LibraryThing:
If the tool does not have a built-in method for you to resize their content, look for any instances of width=XYZ. Replace XYZ with a number smaller than your column size. Depending on your content, you may also need to adjust the height=XYZ property as well. You may wish to delete the height property altogether - most content will resize automatically.
If the site does not provide you with a way to resize their content, and changing the width manually does not achieve the desired result, you may need to adjust your column size.
- For images, either resize the the image in a photo editor, or resize the image within your guide by dragging the corners (see the video below).