I want to add an audio clip from a file on my computer. What type of box do I need to create so it will play directly on the LibGuide page?
As with videos, you can't upload audio files directly into LibGuides. So first you'd need to upload your audio clip somewhere that can stream it. Then you can either link to or embed it in your guide.
Uploading to a Server
If you have a streaming media server at your library/institution, you can upload the file to that and then link to or embed it in your guide.
If not, you can always use an online service to host your file. Something like:
If anyone has other sites they use to host audio files, please share them in the comments section. :)
Embedding in Your Guide
You'll need to get the embed code from the online service or your streaming media server / IT department.
Location of the embed code can vary from site to site, so be sure to look around for it or use the site's help section to learn where to find it.
Then you can easily add it to your guide using either an Embedded Media & Widgets box or a Rich Text box.
Embedded Media & Widgets Box
- Add an Embedded Media & Widgets box to your guide.
- Click Embed a Video/Audio Clip.
- Paste the embed code you copied in the Embed URL box.
- Click Embed it.
Rich Text Box
- Add a Rich Text box to your guide.
- Click add text.
- Click the Plain Text Editor tab.
- Paste the embed code you copied in the text box.
- Click Save Changes.
- You may need to refresh your page to see any changes.