How do I do a trace route?
The following images show this process in Windows 7, but the same approach should work for older Windows operating systems.
(1) Click on the start button (it's the Windows logo in the lower left corner of your screen).
(2) Where it says Search programs and files, type in the letters cmd and then hit enter. Note: if running an older Windows operating system, you may need to select Run from the start menu and then type in cmd.
(3) You should see a DOS window open up. Type in tracert and then the URL of your LibGuides system. Do not include the http:// part of the URL. Then hit enter.
(4) This process will take a few moments. When you see the words Trace Complete at the bottom, you will know it has finished.
If the trace route takes more than a few minutes, and seems to be "hanging," you may only see the * character being written every few moments. If this happens, press Control + C to stop the trace route.
Take a screenshot of what you see - if you need to make the window bigger in order to get the whole traceroute, do that - it's important for us to see everything.
(5) E-mail the screenshot to our support team at email@example.com.
(1) Open a Finder window and open your Applications folder. Then, open the Utilities folder.
(2) Open the Network Utility
(3) Select the Traceroute tab.
(4) Enter the URL and hit the Trace button.
(5) Copy everything in the box below the the Trace button; then paste that into an e-mail and send it to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.