How do I copy a guide from another system?
LibGuides allows you to easily create a copy of any research guide...even if that guide exists in another system. This is a very useful way to share information with colleagues or to copy a guide from one site to another. Please be sure to contact the original guide owner before copying the guide.
- Login and select Create New Guide from your Dashboard.
- On the Create New Guide screen, select the 2nd option: Use an existing guide as a template.
- Choose Community.
- Enter the URL of the guide that you want to copy in the search box and click Search.
- Note: Ask permission first if you are going to copy a guide created by another user.
- Click on the guide title in the search results pop-ip to select it.
- Enter the new guide title and description.
- Click the Create New Guide button to copy the guide to your new site.
After the guide has been copied, you will automatically be taken to your new guide, where you will find all of the same pages and content boxes that were in the original guide. (Please see notes below.)
- Since this process creates a copy of the original guide, any changes made to the original will not be reflected in the copied guide, and vice-versa.
- If any boxes or links are "linked" (meaning the creator of the guide added a linked box to the page or reused a link in their system), the best and safest thing for you to do is recreate those boxes (so you can edit them) and then remove the "linked" box from the guide.
- If you are using this process to "move" a guide from your demo account to your live account, please remember to return to the demo system and delete the original guide if it is no longer needed.
- After the guide has been copied, you can reassign the guide to another user (if needed) by going to the Admin Toolbox area from the My Admin screen, and using the Change Guide Owner function.