Can data from an excel spreadsheet be imported into a LibGuide page?
The answer here is yes, with some caveats. Microsoft Excel is rather notorious for adding extraneous "junk" code to HTML, but there are steps you can take to mitigate those problems. However, these steps will also strip most of the formatting from your table, so you need to plan to rebuild any specific font styles (bolding, font size/style, etc.) after you pull in the actual table content. To paste in excel content:
- Create a new Rich Text box
- Be mindful of the column width - if your table has many columns, it's best to format your table (in Excel) to comprise a total width that's smaller than the column width on your guide
- In your Excel document, highlight all of the cells you'd like to copy over; then select "Copy"
- Head over to your Rich Text box, and click "edit text"
- Paste in your content
- Click the "Remove Formatting" icon (VERY important!!!). This will cause all of the fonts on the page to revert to system defaults
- Click "Save and Close"
Once you've followed these steps to import your Excel content, you can then use the style elements in the Rich Text Editor to change your document's look-and-feel options.
*Keep in mind, pasting content from Excel into any HTML document is rarely an uneventful experience, so if you need more specific help, please let us know!*
You can also use Google Docs to help you paste an Excel Spreadsheet into a LibGuide.
This outline assumes you're starting with an existing Excel file.
- Go to http://docs.google.com/ & login (or create an account)
- Select "Upload..." (top-left of the screen) and upload your Excel doc
- Manipulate the layout however you'd like
- When you've got it looking the way you want, select "File" --> "Download As" --> "HTML"
- In the new screen that appears, right-click on the screen and select "View Page Source"
- Copy everything that appears in the "View Page Source" window
- Head back to your LibGuides page, & in your Rich Text box select "edit text"
- Select the Plain Text Editor (very important!)
- Paste in what you found in step 6 & save changes.
Keep in mind, if your spreadsheet contains many columns, you'll probably need to adjust the column widths of your LibGuides page in order to avoid a table that spills over the sides of your box.