I have a box that appears on multiple guides that I wish to edit. Can I edit it one place and have the change appear on all the guides?
Absolutely! But you need to set it up that way from the start...this is where "linking boxes" comes in.
First a note on reusable content:
The easiest way to keep track of boxes you want to reuse is to have a "reusable content" guide. You don't ever have to publish it...it can remain unpublished...it's simply a storage area for the boxes you'd like to reuse on your site: search boxes, a box of help links/info, anything else you'd like to use on multiple guides.
If you create this guide, you'll always know where to go to update the original box. If you choose to create the box in one of your published guides, that's fine too, of course! You'll just need to know which guide has the original so you know where to go to edit it. (If you don't remember, check out this FAQ: How can I tell where a linked box is from?)
And now, on to linking boxes:
Wherever you decide to store the original, here's how you go about linking boxes. This will allow you to edit the box in 1 place and have those changes propagate out wherever the box is linked.
- Create the box/content on a guide.
- Link to that box wherever else you want:
- On another page/guide, click Add New Box.
- At the top of the box, choose "Link to another box in the system".
- Dropdown boxes will appear under the options:
- Choose the guide you want to link the box from (wherever the original is), then
- Choose the box you want to link.
- Change the title if you want...or leave it the same as the original.
- Click Create Box.
It's as simple as that!