How do I add a journal to a libguide using a "Books from the Catalog" box?
You can use the Books from the Catalog box to add journals...you just can't use some of the functionality of the box. Namely, Get Book Info or Cover Art.
- The Get Book Info function only supports ISBNs.
If you add an ISSN and click that button, you will get an error message.
- For Cover Art:
- Syndetics provides cover art images for books, videos, DVDs and CDs...but generally speaking, not journals (as far as we're aware).
- Amazon provides cover art images for books and only supports the 10 digit ISBN.
You technically can still add the ISSN to the ISBN field to have it display on the screen - but the label will be ISBN, not ISSN.
A better option might be to add the ISSN to the Description field. So in the Description box, you might add something like:
For cover art, you have a couple of options:
- We have "no cover art available" images you can use. Select from the "Default Blue" or "Default White" option when selecting your cover art.
- Or you can add your own cover art image (assuming proper copyright permissions, etc.). All you need is the URL for the image. Then, when adding a book to the Books from the Catalog box:
- Choose Other from the Cover Art options.
- Add the URL for your image in the box that appears.
- Save your "book".